Tanya's Louisiana Southern Fried Chicken
This recipe is from my grandmother and great grandmother's family.
- Prep Time 0 Hours 10 Minutes
- Cook Time 0 Hours 20 Minutes
- Total Time 0 Hours 30 Minutes
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium size bowl mix together the eggs and milk. Add ALMOST all of the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder (reserve a dash of each for seasoning the chicken pieces). Set aside.
- Sprinkle a dash of the remaining salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder onto both sides of the chicken pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Put the flour in a plastic bag. One piece at a time, dip the chicken into the egg/milk mixture then add to the plastic bag. Shake the bag so that the flour is covering each piece of chicken.
- You can check to see if the oil is hot enough by sprinkling a little flour in the skillet. If it fries, it's hot enough! Place the chicken pieces in the skillet. After about 5 minutes, turn the chicken over. Let chicken fry for about 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the juices run clear. Enjoy!
- Calories: 638.4 calories
- Carbohydrate Content: 47.9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 177.3 mg
- Fat Content: 29.6 g
- Fiber Content: 1.7 g
- Protein Content: 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Serving Size:
- Sodium Content: 960.4 mg
- Sugar Content: 7.1 g
- Trans Fat Content:
- Unsaturated Fat Content: